Understanding Second Language Process
Edited by: ZhaoHong Han
- Related Formats:
- Paperback, Hardback, Ebook(EPUB)
- 9th Nov 2007
- Multilingual Matters
- Number of pages:
This book assembles 11 analytical and empirical studies on the process of second language acquisition, probing a wide array of issues, from transfer appropriate processing to L2 default processing strategies, among hearing or deaf learners of a variety of target languages including English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French, Spanish, and American Sign Language. Although instruction per se is not the focus of this volume, the chapters are written with instructed learners in mind, and hence offer valuable insights for both second and foreign language researchers and practitioners.
Understanding Second Language Process brings together well known researchers addressing the 'process' issue in SLA. Through both conceptual and empirical articles, through a range of languages being learned and looking at an array of language areas, the authors provide us with a glimpse into the world of learning processes. The classroom is always in the picture of these articles making this book a must read for anyone interested in SLA and particularly in the intersection between instruction and learning.
Susan Gass , University Distinguished Professor, Michigan State University
ZhaoHong Han is Associate Professor of Linguistics and Education at Teachers College, Columbia University. Her research interests include second language learnability, teachability, and fossilization. She is the author of Fossilization in Adult Second Language Acquisition (2004, Multilingual Matters) and of a variety of articles in journals and books in applied linguistics, second language learning, and second language education.
Editor: ZhaoHong Han [In collaboration with Eun Sung Park, Andrea Revesz, Charles Combs, and Ji Hyun Kim]
1. Revisiting the Role of Consciousness with MOGUL - Michael Sharwood Smith
2. Multi-competence: Black Hole or Wormhole for Second Language Acquisition Research - Vivian Cook
3. Transfer-appropriate Processing as a Model for Classroom Second Language Acquisition - Patsy Lightbown
4. On the Role of Meaning in Focus on Form - ZhaoHong Han
5. The Efficacy of Visual Input Enhancement in Teaching Deaf Learners of L2 English - Gerald P. Berent and Ronald R. Kelly
6. Learner Spontaneous Attention in L2 Input Processing: An Exploratory Study - Eun Sung Park and ZhaoHong Han
7. Working Memory and L2 Processing of Redundant Grammatical Forms - Nuria Sagarra
8. On L2-Chinese Learners' Interpretation of Operator-variable Binding in VP Ellipsis - Hongguang Ying
9. Metasyntactic Ability in L2: Investigation of the Task Demand - Daphnée Simard and Véronique Fortier
10. Prosody Acquisition by Japanese Learners - Tomoko Shibata and Richard Hurtig
11. Recognition and Production of Formulas in L2 Pragmatics - Kathleen Bardovi-Harlig