Age and the Rate of Foreign Language Learning
Edited by: Carmen Muñoz
- Related Formats:
- Paperback, Ebook(PDF), Ebook(EPUB)
- 7th Jul 2006
- Multilingual Matters
- Number of pages:
- 234mm x 156mm
This book examines the various ways in which age affects the process and the product of foreign language learning in a school setting. It presents studies that cover a wide range of topics, from phonetics to learning strategies. It will be of interest to students and researchers working in SLA research, language planning and language teaching.
It is fascinating to read a collection of studies conducted over such a long period with a single, large data set.
The collection provides invaluable guidance for educators and policy makers who must decide when to start L2 instruction in school programs. The volume also includes thorough reviews of previous research and theory on the relationship between age and language acquisition. It is a unique addition to the research on classroom second language learning.
This book is very well-written and edited, and its various chapters provide not only enlightening results and interpretations but also clear and satisfying discussions of the relevant theories, past empirical findings, and research methodology.
Studies in Second Language Acquisition 31 - 2009
Apart from exploring questions of rate and attainment in low-proficiency learners, this volume also presents data and findings relevant to SLA in terms of methodology, interlanguage states or learners' perception of their own development. For this reason, it will be helpful not only for professionals in linguistics and FL curriculum planners, but also for researchers and language teachers interested in the description and measurement of the early stages of FL acquisition.
The Journal of Language Teaching, Volume 44/1, 2011
Carmen Muñoz received her MA in Applied Linguistics from the University of Reading, UK. and her PhD in English Linguistics from the University of Barcelona, Spain, where she is now a Professor of English Linguistics and Applied Linguistics. Her research interests include second and foreign language acquisition, as well as bilingual acquisition. She is the coordinator of the Barcelona Age Factor (BAF) Project. Her recent publications have focused on the age factor in foreign language acquisition, cross linguistic influence and individual differences.
Contents Introduction - Carmen Muñoz (Universitat de Barcelona)
1. The Effects of Age on Foreign Language Learning: the BAF Project - Carmen Muñoz
2. The Development of English (FL) Perception and Production Skills: Starting Age and Exposure Effects - Natalia Fullana
3. Age Effects on Oral Fluency Development - Joan Carles Mora (Universitat de Barcelona)
4. Age and Vocabulary Acquisition in EFL - Immaculada Miralpeix (Universitat de Barcelona)
5. Accuracy Orders, Rate of Learning and Age in Morphological Acquisition - Carmen Muñoz
6. Rate and Route of Acquisition in EFL Narrative Development at Different - Ages Esther Álvarez (Universitat de Barcelona)
7. Age and IL Development in Writing – María Rosa Torras, Teresa Navés, María Luz Celaya and Carmen Pérez-Vidal (Universitat de Barcelona)
8. Age, Proficiency Level and Interactional Skills: Evidence from Breakdowns in Production - Gisela Grañena
9. Reported Strategy Use and Age - Elsa Tragant (Universitat de Barcelona) and Mia Victori (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
10. Language Learning Motivation and Age - Elsa Tragant (Universitat de Bercelona) General Appendices Index